The Seal-Boy
The seal-boy we called him.
We first saw him just off the coast
of the land we were heading towards. Clad in the mottled skin of a seal, he
plunged into the water and did not rise up for a long time. Fearing the boy had
drowned, we paddled to the place where he fell, but as soon as we got there,
the boy suddenly emerged from the water in front of my kayak.
An impish grin lit
up the boy’s smooth face, and his dark eyes danced with pleasure at the bit of
mischief he had played on us.
“He’s over here!”
I called from my position at the rear of the kayak fleet. Looking at the young
rogue’s face, I couldn’t help but chuckle, and for the moment I forgot the
unpleasant task that awaited our group when we came ashore.
Suddenly the boy
dove back beneath the water. The rest of the kayaks paddled around the area
with amused looks on their faces as they again sought the boy out. The little
one emerged out of the water several times amidst the kayaks, naughtily shaking
our crafts just hard enough to cause some to grow angry with the troublemaker.
Later the boy
emerged much further away from our fleet. He waved at us cheerfully.
We gave the boy
chase. Further and further the seal-boy swam, his little head dunking beneath
the water and emerging a long distance away from his last location. The irregular
cadence of paddling oars and shouts followed him as we made to catch up with
the boy, but he ever kept his distance as he brought us out to open sea.
The boy finally
stopped next to an iceberg that had run aground. The boy leaped clear of the
water and clambered up the gleaming white surface of the iceberg, reaching the
top with astonishing ease.
The seal-boy
stood atop the iceberg and leaned against a large piece of loose ice that lay precariously
close to the edge. We paddled over to the iceberg and looked up, gazing upon the
seal-boy’s jeering face.
“We cannot climb
it as he did, but if we were to carve steps into the side, we could reach him,”
one of the kayaks suggested.
We thought this
a sound idea, and several of the kayaks took out knives and picks and began to
chip at the base of the iceberg. The workers labored steadily under the
seal-boy’s stoic scrutiny until they managed to carve out steps leading
directly to the iceberg’s peak.
Kayaks began to
climb the iceberg, their sealskin moccasins treading cautiously upon the slick
steps. The ascending kayaks still clutched their tools firmly in their hands,
but I knew they would be put into an entirely different use once they reached
the seal-boy.
The seal-boy casually
strode away from the climbers and disappeared behind the large piece of ice he
had been leaning against. Suddenly the chunk slid closer to the edge, its
trajectory angling towards the kayaks’ climbing path. It took only that little
shove to cause the piece of ice to slide down off the top of the iceberg and
tumble down its side. The kayaks screamed in terror and dismay, but there was
nothing they could as the ice struck them one after another and sent them
hurtling into the icy waters below.
Angry shouts tore
from the throats of the other kayaks. Before any of them could react, the seal-boy
leaped from the top of the iceberg. The boy dove toward the water headfirst,
hands outstretched before him to break through the water first before the rest
of his body plunged beneath.
A long tense
moment passed as we waited for the boy to emerge again. Instead, we heard a
terrified scream as one of the kayak’s vessel was overturned. My breathing
quickened and my head panned every which way as I watched another kayak have
his paddle stripped from him before his own boat was forcibly cap-sized. Other
kayaks were taken by surprise from behind as the seal-boy lunged from the
water, seized them, and then dragged them beneath.
The dreadful reality
of what would happen to me if I did not run finally sunk in as I saw limp forms
begin to rise to the surface of the water. My body seemed to move of
itself as I sought to turn my vessel around and paddle as far away from the
iceberg as I could.
I was making
steady progress when the horrifying sound of splashing water came from behind
me and I felt a forceful tug on one end of my paddle. Frightened and certain
of my death, the paddle slipped from my limp, shaky hands. A whimper rose up
from my throat as I desperately began to paddle my kayak with my hands. I
shivered as my palms pushed through the freezing water, but my shaking was not because
of the cold. I knew my time had come.
I looked at the
stick that lay beside me in my boat: my only weapon. Against the likes of this merciless
boy who swam so easily in the water I knew such a weapon would prove
inadequate.
To my surprise,
one end of my paddle suddenly reappeared and came to rest in my lap. I looked
to my right and found that the seal-boy was holding the paddle out to me.
“You I will not
kill,” the boy said. “I will allow you to go home, but you must tell your
people never to come here seeking to kill us. If they do not heed this warning,
then I will kill them all, and not let a single one return.”
I looked upon
the deadly serious face of the youth as I wordlessly took back my paddle. I
knew that I would do as he said, and that I would never return to this place
again, for I had no wish to run across the seal-boy ever again.
Author's Note: This is based on Âtârssuaq from the Eskimo Folk Tales unit. In the original story, we learn about the birth and maturity of the son of Âtârssuaq, who from a very young age is trained by his father to be an extremely skilled swimmer. Âtârssuaq is eventually killed by his enemies, and the son finds himself tasked with having to defend his people from an invasion of northerners coming down in a fleet of kayaks. Using his skilled swimming abilities, he lures his enemies out to open sea and to an iceberg, then begins to kill them through various means. In the end he only spares one helpless kayak, and sends him home with a warning. So pretty much this story follows the second half of the original plot line to the letter, but it is is written from the perspective of the lone survivor. I wanted to create a slight feeling of terror for this so-called seal boy and show his brutality from the viewpoint of someone who nearly found himself being dragged to a watery grave at the youth's hand. This story is a little on the rushed side, so I hope you still enjoyed it for what it is.
![]() |
| Inuit family (Un-textbook) |
Title: Eskimo Folk-Tales
Author: Knud Rasmussen
Year Published: 1921
Source: Un-textbook
+(1).jpg)
I really enjoyed your story this week. I did not read the Eskimo Folk tales unit so I am glad I got the chance to hear a story from their culture. You did a great job in describing the scene and I could really envision the struggle in the ice waters and glacier where the whale-boy was hiding. I think it was a great idea to shift the story into the point of view of the lone survivor. It is one of my favorite storytelling strategies because it allows you to keep the essence of the story the same but shift the emotions and perspective around. By switching the point of view to that of the survivor's, we get to see the fear invoked in him by the whale-boy when he threatens him about coming back. Great job!
ReplyDeleteWow what a cool and interesting unit to pick for the week! I did not pick this unit so I found it to be very interesting to read about! I think that you did a really great job of explaining the original story in your authors note! I love how you told the story from the ‘lone survivors’ point of view; I think it was a fresh take on the story! Great job!
ReplyDeleteWell man, I can definitely see why you want to write fiction. You're really good! You do an awesome job of showing and not telling, which is really difficult for me to do. The young boy kind of seemed like a cornered animal to me. He was super playful, until he felt threatened. Great story man!
ReplyDeleteIt's a bit terrifying to see a boy capable of such morbid acts. I guess one does what one can when it comes to defending one's kin. I love the tone of adventure you've included here, and it seems to suit itself for a diary entry. I just get this image of a hunter reminiscing over that day when the Seal-Boy made his stand.
ReplyDeleteThe stories in this unit are permeated by violence or the threat of violence in general, Jake. I found it pretty striking myself just how quick people are ready to kill each other in these stories. I feel like when you read the original version you don't fully realize just how bone-chilling it is that a child is killing so many men with such ease, which is why I thought switching the POV around might enhance the sheer horror of it a little.
ReplyDelete