How Jake Lost a
Race to Rock and Cicadas
Jake had to walk
uphill to his high school every weekday and he hated everything about it. Every
day the sun beat down on him and had him sweating halfway up the climb. His
book-laden backpack hung heavy on his shoulders and pressed his sweaty T-shirt
against his clammy backside. The worn soles of his tennis shoes evinced the
toll the daily trek had taken on his feet, which were always sore every time he
reached the hilltop.
Then there were
the cicadas. Every day the cicadas sang their morning song, and Jake’s teeth
ground together in annoyance with every monotonous note.
One day after
school Jake was standing at the hilltop preparing to descend when he saw a
cicada sitting upon a boulder. Jake raised his foot high in preparation to
stomp it, but the cicada flew off before Jake could kill it.
“Stupid
cicadas,” Jake muttered as he made to head downhill.
“The cicadas
don’t like you either, jerk,” a voice said, the low, gravelly tone coming from
the direction of the boulder.
Jake glared at
the boulder. “Who asked your opinion, stupid Rock!?
“Nobody ever
asks us rocks’ opinion, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have things worth
saying, youngster," Rock said.
“Sure, sure,”
Jake said snidely, stooping down to poke at Rock.
“I’ve been on
this hilltop for decades,” Rock said. “I have seen more in my long life than
you will ever see, and know more stories than you will likely ever know.”
“Yeah, so what?”
Jake said, poking Rock again.
“So . . .” Rock
began, a hint of impatience now tinging his voice, “the sum of a person’s wisdom
can be determined by the number of stories he knows, for what are stories but
microcosms of experience that teach us about the nature of life and the good
and bad ways it can be lived?”
“I don’t know
what you just said, but it sounds stupid, Rock” Jake said.
Rock sighed
heavily. “Then why don’t we create a story of our own?”
Jake stared at
Rock, arching a brow. “How?”
“A race, my
angsty friend,” Rock said.
“A race? With
who?”
“With me of
course. Whoever reaches the bottom of the hill first wins.
Jake laughed.
“Are you forgetting that you’re a rock, Rock?”
“We rocks can be
quite speedy in the right context.”
Jake stood up
and crossed his arms. “You just want me to get all sweaty running downhill,
don’t you?”
“There’s no
stopping this story now that I’ve decided to start it,” Rock said. “Whether you
choose to run or walk, I’m going to win this race.”
Jake shook his
head incredulously and began to jog downhill. He did not want to look silly by
sprinting down the hill, but there was something in Rock’s tone that made him feel
that it might be smarter to jog.
When Jake was
halfway down the hill he looked back up the incline and saw that Rock had still
not moved. Gritting his teeth in anger for being fooled by the boulder, Jake
decided to walk the rest of the way down the hill.
Jake had not
even taken three steps when he felt a rumble beneath his feet. Looking uphill
again, he saw that Rock was rolling down at incredible speed. Yelping in
surprise, Jake began to dash downhill, worn soles slapping hard against the grass
as he sought to reach the bottom before the boulder could catch up.
The rumble grew
louder until Jake could hear it over his own ragged gasps and the thunderous
beats of his heart. He willed his feet to go faster, but there was no outpacing
the rolling Rock. Rock surged in front of Jake and hurtled toward the foot of
the hill.
When Jake
reached the bottom, Rock was still rolling for a long time before finally
settling several feet away. Panting Jake trudged over to where Rock now sat.
“H—how did you?”
Jake said, breathless.
“It only takes a
little bit of a push to get a rock sitting on the edge of a hill rolling,” Rock
said.
“But . . . but—”
“But nobody was
there to push me?” Rock interrupted. “What about those much hated cicadas of
yours? You may deem them your enemies, but having been on this hill a long
time, they have become my longtime friends and companions. Rather than growing
to hate their song, I have come to appreciate the beauty of its nuances, and through
it their people as a whole. It was them who gave me the push I needed to secure
victory.”
Jake shook his
head. “You're lying.”
“Believe what
you will, young one,” Rock said, “but whether you acknowledge it or not, this
is the day a man lost a footrace to a rock and cicadas. My sitting here at the
foot of the hill will be a testament to this story long after you are gone.”
Jake went away
and tried to forget the events of that particular day, but every day he went up
and down the hill to school he couldn’t help but look at Rock and remember that
race that he had lost. So too could he not listen to the cicada song and feel
the same way he used to about it. Although the sound still grated on his
nerves, he began to feel an odd appreciation for it. Perhaps this was the
wisdom Rock spoke of, a wisdom gained through being part of a story.
Author's Note: This is based on the story in the British North American unit entitled "Wolverene and Rock." In the original Wolverene teases a rock about the fact that he cannot move, but the Rock states that he is capable of rolling. The mischievous Wolverene starts to race downhill and Rock rolls after him and eventually catches up and shmooshes him. Woverene calls for help to his brother Thunder and Lightning and Rock ends up blasted into a million pieces while the wolverine gets his fur coat torn to pieces. In my version I kept the central idea of a character racing Rock downhill, but gave it a modern context and replaced Wolverene with a rambunctious teenager named Jake. The cicada thing was a random idea that came about since I thought the setting of the story should be a hot spring day, which for whatever reason made me think of cicadas. The story ended up being quite different from the source material, and I thought it was fun to explore some different themes from the original.
A rolling stone gathers no moss . . . and is pretty handy in a downhill race besides (Wikipedia, picture taken by Kate Ter Haar, 2010)
|
Bibliography Information
Book: Myths and Legends of British North America
Author: Katharine Berry Judson
Year Published: 1917
Web Source: Un-textbook
When I started reading this story I was immediately drawn to the diction that you used to describe what was going on. Your first paragraph did a wonderful job depicting how difficult the trip up the hill was. The way you told this story really pulls the reader into the situation at hand, basically making them a bystander next to the events as they unfold. I think the cicadas were a great twist to the original story and that they played exceptionally well into the plot overall.
ReplyDeleteKyle, I like how you made a story that pertained to animals, and a rock, and gave it a modern theme. As I expected, your writing skill is exquisite! When comparing your version with the original, I can honestly say I enjoy your version more and that it is easier to understand. The addition of the cicada's made the story more realistic, and shows your creativity. Excellent work this week!
ReplyDeleteThis retelling was very well written and a very easy read. I enjoyed how you added a lot of dialog to the story to help the audience understand more. At first I was a little puzzled on why you chose to make a rock speak. But after continuing to read your story I realize it’s very fitting. I like how you changed the original story and added your own flare! Good job!
ReplyDeleteKyle,
ReplyDeleteI thought you did an awesome job with this retelling! I didn't read this unit so reading your take of a story that I haven't heard of before was great. I loved that you weren't afraid to mess with the plot and make it your own. I am always too scared to do that! Overall, I thought you did a great job!