The other tough thing that happened to me this week was having to read a large portion of a historical fiction book entitled Fire in Beulah for Thursday. Now while the book itself was fairly interesting, the fact that I hadn't started reading it yet and the Thursday assignment was to read 126 pages of it left me daunted. I read a little bit of the book the Wednesday before, and decided to reserve some time to get as far as I could in it the morning of the next day since the class doesn't start until 12:00. I set my alarm for around nine with the intention of getting up and logging in at least a few more hours of reading, but either my alarm never went off or I just didn't hear it, because I ended up waking up at ten. In the end all I could do was skim as much as I could and hope that the professor didn't have a mind to give out a quiz. Despite my panic over not being where I was supposed to be in the book, I made it through all right and determined to catch up over the weekend. I'm hoping to at least get to page 200 before Tuesday's class. There's nothing more nerve-wracking to me that coming to class and not being fully prepared!
Things in this class are going pretty well, I'd say. My most recent blog story, "Yamato and the Demon Boar," is one of the better re-tellings I've written so far, in my opinion. I thought the use of a frame structure that allowed for me to explore the theme of loyalty vs. self-aggrandizement worked out pretty smoothly in the story. I also feel pretty happy with my storybook site, which I was able to make look a little more distinctive by messing around with the site layout and adding a neat banner at the bottom. I'm pretty satisfied with the introduction I wrote, and I am really looking forward to writing about one of my favorite mythological heroes ever, ranking right up there with King Arthur and Gawain (which, given my love for Arthurian mythology, is no small compliment).
| Penguins! (Wikipedia Commons) |
Hey Kyle,
ReplyDeleteI thought you did a really awesome job of describing your essay writing process. It was neat to hear about how you learned more about the book while writing your essay because I think sometimes the essay as seen as the finish line instead of the peak. Personally, I tried to read that book and hated it. So I'm glad there are people out there who enjoy it.
Also, I'm not really sure why there is a picture of penguins on this page. But penguins are my favorite animal. So I love it.
I wouldn't say that I enjoyed reading Steinbeck's book (it had its moments at times thought), but I did appreciate what he was doing in the work (even if I don't agree with the agenda he's pushing in it).
ReplyDeletePenguins are also my favorite animals and so whenever I want to include a picture but can't think of what it should be I default to a penguin picture. Several of my other posts also feature penguin pics.