Saturday, September 27, 2014

Google Search Tech Tip

So my storybook is covering the adventures of Sigurd the Volsung, so I decided to do a site-specific google search for one of the legendary swords associated with the Volsung lineage, Balmung. Balmung was a sword wielded by Sigurd's father Sigmund in some of the stories centered around him (Gram was originally the sword of Sigmund and Sigurd in the earliest tales about the Volsungs from what I understand). The top result after I did the search led me to one of the chapters from a book called Teutonic Myth and Legend. The chapter is entitled "Siegfried and the Nibelungs," and it focuses on one of the episodes in the life of Siegfried. Here's the link.

Painting of Sigmund by Arthur Rackham (1909) (Wikipedia)


1 comment:

  1. What a great way to use this tip, Kyle! And that book is one I came so close to using as a unit in the UnTextbook, but I just could not come up with a good 15,000-word selection. But it is an awesome book, full of all kinds of cool stuff. Very much worth poking around in! That author, Donald Mackenzie, wrote the book I used as the source for the Egypt unit and also for the abbreviated version of the Ramayana for that unit. I bet he was quite the fascinating guy to talk to! :-)

    ReplyDelete