So week two marks the time
when I’ve finally started to get into school mode. I’ve been a lot more
successful in motivating myself to work throughout this week, and hope that my
weekend will continue to be productive. I have yet to read the chapters I need to
read from Steinbeck for my Oklahoma Writing class, but hopefully I can catch up
on Sunday and Monday. This class has
kept me the most busy, but I’m hoping that I can use this weekend to begin the
process of working ahead a little bit. I ended up cornering myself at the
beginning of this week and was only able to do the half-reading, but I’m hoping
to get a full reading in for Week 3.
Despite being a little bit
under the gun at the beginning of Week 2, I was still able to write a pretty decent
piece for my storytelling assignment. Based on “The Ballad of Saint Felix,” my
story was an improvement over my first storytelling piece, as I felt I was able
to get a better balance of narrative action, dialogue, and imagery. My story “How
Codger Saved the World and Got A New
House” had a creative premise, but might have been a little bit too
dialogue-heavy, at the cost of lacking in descriptive detail. With 1,000-
stories, it really is tricky figuring out how to balance action, speech, and
description in an effective way, and I hope with this week I’ve taken some
steps forward learning how to achieve this balance.
I read two good stories from
other students that I thought were worth noting. Kelsey Link’s “Nice for a Wife”
is a retelling of the lead-up to the marriage of Rebekah and Isaac. Told from
Rebekah’s point of view, it sets the Biblical character up as a very relateable
young lady. Kelsey nicely fleshes out Rebekah’s relationship with her family,
and interprets Eliezer’s character in a very interesting way (he comes off as a
bit of creeper). Alissa’s “Abigail and the China Doll” is a modern retake on “Saint
Kentigern and the Robin.” Her story stars a young girl name Abigail, a student
at a French boarding school, but thematically the narrative matches up well with
the source material. In addition, the prose is quite good, making the story a
very pleasant and easy read.
I’m considering trying some
more unconventional narrative styles in the coming weeks. Perhaps I’ll try
writing something super weird, maybe write in second-person present tense (okay,
that might be too weird, but it would
be fun to experiment with such a looked down upon narrative style).
![]() |
| Wait, 2nd-person POV is only for Choose Your Own Adventure books and the like, right? (Wikipedia) |

Kyle, I usually don't comment on blog posts, but I happened to notice this one go by and I just had to say: 2nd-person present is one of my favorite writing styles... it's exhausting for any long-form piece, but it can be just great for the stories you do for this class. So I vote yes! Although students have used that only rarely, it has always been very successful... it works really well for this class, and I would be so curious to see what you do with it! :-)
ReplyDelete